Presentations by Cardinal Burke
Crisis in the Catholic Church
Audio presentations from 2019 Consecration Weekend. His Eminence is discussing the booklet, “Declaration of truths relating to some of the most common errors in the life of the Church of our time.”
End of Life Issues
Audio presentations from 2010 Consecration Weekend.
- The Mystery of Human Suffering and Dying (41:02).
- The Christian Care of the Suffering and Dying (46:40).
- Moral Questions regarding Death and Christian Burial of the Dead (46:.40).
- Sunday’s Homily audio presentation (18:52) – Transcript.
The Consecration of Marian Catechists to the Sacred Heart of Jesus.
Documents available for further study of End of Life Issues:
The Mystery of Human Suffering and Dying
Declaration on Euthanasia, Sacred Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, 5 May 1980.
Respect for the Dignity of the Dying, Pontifical Academy for Life, 9 December 2000.
Salvifici doloris, On the Christian Meaning of Human Suffering, Apostolic Letter of Pope Saint John Paul II, 11 February 1984. Online
Salvifici doloris, On the Christian Meaning of Human Suffering, Apostolic Letter of Pope Saint John Paul II, 11 February 1984. MCA Bookstore
The Christian Care of the Suffering and Dying
Life-Sustaining Treatments and the Vegetative State: Scientific Advances and Ethical Dilemmas, Address of Pope John Paul II to the participants of the International Congress, 20 March 2004.
Nutrition and Hydration: Moral and Pastoral Reflections, NCCB/USCCB, April 1992.
Ethical and Religious Directives for Catholic Health Care Services, Part V, 5th Edition, NCCB.
Responses to Certain Questions of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops concerning Artificial Nutrition and Hydration, Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, 1 August 2007.
Palliative care: The new stealth Euthanasia, John Mallon, Celebrate Life Magazine, November/December 2009.
Moral Questions regarding Death and the Christian Burial of the Dead
On the Christian Burial of the Dead, Pastoral Letter of The Most Reverend Raymond L. Burke to the Diocese of La Crosse, 2 November.
Enthronement of the Sacred Heart
For presentation see “Sacred Heart of Jesus.”
Evangelization, Conscience, Mercy and Justice
Audio presentations from 2016 Consecration Weekend
- The Moral Law, Conscience and the Sacred Liturgy audio (53:00) by Raymond Leo Cardinal Burke. Printable PDF text of presentation.
- Sin, Repentance, Confession, Remission of Sins, Reparation and Temporal Punishment audio (61:00) by Msgr. Roger J. Scheckel, Spiritual Advisor of the Marian Catechist Apostolate.
- Divine Mercy and Justice audio (46:00) by Raymond Leo Cardinal Burke. Printable PDF text of presentation. His Eminence clarifies the meaning of a jubilee year and explores the nature of God’s mercy as God has revealed it to us and as it has been taught in the Magisterium.
- Tips to Evangelize-Saint Paul Street Evangelization audio (2:00) by Father Ignatius of the Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate. Father Ignatius describes the miraculous conversion of Alphonse Ratisbonne and the Miraculous Medal and then goes on to explain three levels of evangelization using the Miraculous Medal.
- The first level is wearing a smile (the apostolate of the smile), wearing the Miraculous Medal, and carrying around and giving out Miraculous Medals and holy cards to all those you meet in your ordinary daily activities.
- The second level is to go out specifically to evangelize, bringing a supply of resources, walking around and intentionally approaching people.
- The third level is to set up a sign and pamphlet rack in an area that has a large volume of foot traffic so that there is no need to walk around engaging people. You can engage those who are passing by, always offering them, in a non-confrontational way, a Miraculous Medal and conversation.
- One Good Reason guide – A quick start guide for your evangelization efforts from Saint Paul Street Evangelization. Videos using method of “One Good Reason,” video 1, video 2, video 3.
Holy Eucharist, Fundamentals
Audio presentation from 2018 Consecration Weekend.
Introduction and fundamentals of teaching about the Holy Eucharist. For second presentation, see “Modesty.”
Download MP3 First Presentation (40:12)
Recommended Resources on the Holy Eucharist:
- The Eucharist as the Triple Sacrament by Father Hardon (Printable PDF).
- Some suggested Holy Mass Prayers (Printable tri-fold PDF).
- Additions to Basic Course: Double Consecration (Printable PDF); Fullness of Power of the Roman Pontiff (Printable PDF).
- Recommended Reading list on the Holy Eucharist.
- Recommended Books in Cardinal Burke presentation:
Legacy of Father John A. Hardon, S.J.
Cardinal Burke’s Keynote Address: “For the Greater Glory of God: The Lasting Legacy of Father John A. Hardon,” Audio (1:06). The legacy of Father John A. Hardon, S.J. was the theme for the 2010 National Meeting of the Institute on Religious Life held at Mundelein Seminary in Mundelein, Illinois, from April 9th through April 11th.
Cardinal Burke’s Acceptance Address of the 2010 Pro Fidelitate et Virtute Award, Audio (28:43).The Then-Most Reverend Raymond L. Burke was presented with the 2010 Pro Fidelitate et Virtute Award by Most Reverend Thomas G. Doran, Bishop of Rockford. The annual award is bestowed upon individuals who manifest a strong love for the Church and a zealous commitment to the consecrated life. Then-Archbishop Burke was recognized for all that he has done to support and promote the consecrated life, as well for his staunch defense of the Catholic Faith and his efforts to further the apostolic vision of Father John A. Hardon, S.J.
Marriage of Saint Joseph and Our Lady
Audio presentations from 2013 Consecration Weekend
- The Marriage of Saint Joseph and the Blessed Virgin Mary by Raymond Leo Cardinal Burke (1:05).
- Authentic Marriage by Msgr. Roger J. Scheckel, Spiritual Advisor of the Marian Catechist Apostolate (46:47).
- Affect the Culture — audio (49:09) by Raymond Leo Cardinal Burke. He recommends that Marian Catechists grow closer to Christ, live a strong sacramental life, be a witness, study the Credo of the People of God and the Catechism, meditate on Scripture (especially the Gospels and passages such as Mt. 5-7 and John 4, 6), give sound and thorough catechesis and be one with Our Lady of Guadalupe, the Star of the New Evangelization and our patroness.
Printable resources for understanding the Marriage of Saint Joseph and Our Lady
- Summary of the Marriage of Saint Joseph and the Blessed Virgin Mary.
- Mary and Joseph Lived Gift of Virginity – Pope John Paul II’s General Audience of Wednesday, 21 August 1996.
- Mary, Direct Source of the Infancy Gospel (Marie, source directe de l’Évangile de l’Enfance) by René Laurentin. English translation of Chapter III: “Mary during the Infancy. of Jesus;” Section 2: “The Announcement to Mary;” pp. 64-66: “Mary’s Objection,” 2012. Original French text.
- Israelite Marriage (Il Matrimonio Israelitico) by Angelo Tosato. English translation of Chapter VI (“On the Matrimonial Procedure”), Rome: Biblical Institute Press, 1982. Original Italian text.
- Jesus of Nazareth: The Infancy Narratives by Pope Benedict XVI. English translation of the German edition, pp. 48-49. Original German text.
- Translations of Catechism of the Catholic Church, paragraph #497 and Translations of Luke 1:27, 34 and Matthew 1:19-20 in various Catholic and Protestant Bibles.
- The Most Fundamental Means of the New Evangelization-Belief in the Dignity of All Men by Raymond Leo Cardinal Burke.
- Martin Barrack’s page on the “Blessed Virgin Mary.” See section titled “Mary Was Betrothed” where he explains the Marriage of Saint Joseph and Our Lady.
Audio presentations from 2015 Consecration Weekend
- Catechesis on Marriage and the Family: Remaining Faithful to the Teaching of Christ by Raymond Leo Cardinal Burke (60:04).
- Tips on Catechizing Couples by Msgr. Roger J. Scheckel, Spiritual Advisor of the Marian Catechist Apostolate (57:07).
- Current Confusion: Tell Them the Truth by Raymond Leo Cardinal Burke (53:30).
- Cardinal Burke referred to the following articles during this presentation:
- The Cultus of the Heart of St. Joseph: An Inquiry into the Status Quæstionis by Msgr. Arthur Burton Calkins.
- Articles are provided to answer the question, “What is Pentecostalism?”
- Pentecostalism in the Church by Father John A. Hardon, S.J.
- The Pentecostalism Controversy by James Likoudis on CatholicCulture.org
- The Gift of Tongues: Comparing the Church Fathers with Contemporary Pentecostalism by Nathan Busenitz.
Audio presentations from 2014 Consecration Weekend
- The Theology of Matrimony by Raymond Leo Cardinal Burke (56:53).
- The Essential Preparation for Marriage by Msgr. Roger J. Scheckel, Spiritual Advisor (59:27).
- The Nullity of Marriage Process is the Search for Truth by Raymond Leo Cardinal Burke (49:58).
Supplemental Resources on Marriage
The Sacrament of Matrimony by Father John A. Hardon, S.J. Eighteen talks, approximately 40-45 minutes in length.These excellent audio recordings were made in 1993.
Printable resources on Marriage discussed in the presentations
- Recent Proposals for the Pastoral Care of the Divorced and Remarried: A Theological Assessment. This dossier, published in the journal Nova et Vetera, is a response to Cardinal Kasper’s proposals by several scholars, mostly Dominican Friars, who are on the faculty of the Pontifical Faculty of Theology of the Immaculate Conception in Washington, D.C. It refutes the proposals made by Cardinal Kasper, showing, point for point, how they contradict the perennial teaching of the Church. (Summer 2014)
- Testimony to the Power of Grace: On the Indissolubility of Marriage and the Debate Concerning the Civilly Remarried and the Sacraments by Gerhard Ludwig Cardinal Müller, Prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith.
- Casti Connubii (On Christian Marriage) Encyclical by Pope Pius XI on 31 December 1930. Online
- Casti Connubii (On Christian Marriage) Encyclical by Pope Pius XI on 31 December 1930. MCA Bookstore
- Familiaris Consortio (On the Christian Family in the Modern World) Apostolic Exhortation by Pope Saint John Paul II, 1981. Online
- Familiaris Consortio (On the Christian Family in the Modern World) Apostolic Exhortation by Pope Saint John Paul II, 1981. MCA Bookstore
- Letter to Families by Pope Saint John Paul II, 1994 Year of the Family. Online
- Letter to Families by Pope Saint John Paul II, 1994 Year of the Family. MCA Bookstore
- The Truth and Meaning of Human Sexuality, Guidelines for Education within the Family by The Pontifical Council for the Family, 1995. Online
- The Truth and Meaning of Human Sexuality, Guidelines for Education within the Family by The Pontifical Council for the Family, 1995. MCA Bookstore
- An Analysis Of Diocesan Marriage Preparation Policies by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops.
Books on Marriage recommended by Cardinal Burke-available from our bookstore
- Remaining in the Truth of Christ: Marriage and Communion in the Catholic Church edited by Robert Dodaro, OSA
- What is Marriage? Man and Woman: A Defense by Sherif Girgis, et al.
- Getting the Marriage Conversation Right, A Guide for Effective Dialogue by William B. May
- Male and Female He Created Them: On Marriage and the Family by Jorge Cardinal Medina Estevez
- Marriage, The Rock on Which the Family is Built by William E. May
- Annulments and the Catholic Church: Straight Answers to Tough Questions by Edward Peters
- Papal Allocutions to the Roman Rota 1939-2011 edited by William H. Woestman, OMI (For those with a more refined interest in Canon Law)
- Defending Marriage: Twelve Arguments for Sanity by Anthony Esolen
Modernism: The Synthesis of All Heresies audio (1:38) address by Mr. Carl Wolk in 2017 to Marian Catechists . Mr. Wolk describes the errors of Modernism and some remedies that fight against it. Mr. Wolk is a theology teacher in the Upper School of Providence Academy. Providence Academy is an independent, private, classical academy whose spiritual father is Cardinal Burke. Cardinal Burke has been involved with Providence Academy since its inception. Printable PDF text of presentation, includes sample quiz. Printable PDF of Magisterial texts of heroic Popes who taught against modern errors.
Audio presentation from 2018 Consecration Weekend.
“Modesty is a way of being that expresses itself in our thinking, our speaking and our acting. Immodesty is anything that would lead either ourselves or others to have an unlawful incitement of the sexual appetite. . . . Sins of impurity and immodesty are extremely dangerous because human nature is strongly inclined toward them and because they quickly develop into habits which are most difficult to eradicate.”
Download MP3 (35:20).
See Romans 12:1; 1 Corinthians 6:19-20; 1 Thessalonians 4:3-5.
The Natural Law-catechizing for the common good
Audio presentations from 2012 Consecration Weekend.
- The Natural Moral Law by Raymond Leo Cardinal Burke (39:19).
- The Conscience by Raymond Leo Cardinal Burke (65:37).
- The Common Good by Msgr. Roger J. Scheckel, Spiritual Advisor of the Marian Catechist Apostolate (59:09).
Resources for understanding the natural law:
- Establishing the Natural Law-printable- by Reverend Raymond Smith, O.P., Ph.D.
- Written on the Heart, The Case for Natural Law by J. Budziszewski. Book available from Marian Catechist bookstore.
- Address by Pope Benedict XVI, The Listening Heart, printable.
- Address by Pope Benedict XVI in Westminister, printable.
- Catechism of the Catholic Church: Common Good, paragraphs 1905-1912; Natural Moral Law, paragraphs 1954-1960; Moral Conscience, paragraphs 1777-1778.
Obedience to the Magisterium and the Responsibility of the Bishop to the Laity
Our Lady of Fatima, The Rebellion of Man Causing Physical & Spiritial Chastisements, The Heresy of Modernism, Pray the Holy Rosary for Conversions and Peace
Audio presentations from 2017 Consecration Weekend
- Our Lady of Fatima: Her Message, Her Triumph and Our Part, what we can do. Audio Part 1 (48:00). Audio Part 2 (41:00). Cardinal Burke speaks of the central message of Fatima and how Our Lady’s triumph will be a victory of Faith, which will put an end to the time of apostasy, and the great shortcomings of the Church’s pastors.He also notes that Russia continues to be a very important agent in God’s plan for peace in the world.
- Developing Lives of Peace After the Heart of Mary: Remedies for these troubled times of confusion, division and error. Presention given by Cardinal Burke at the Church Teaches Forum. Audio not available. Printable PDF of the text of Cardinal Burke’s presentation.
- Modernism: The Synthesis of All Heresies audio (1:38) by Mr. Carl Wolk. Mr. Wolk describes the errors of Modernism and some remedies that fight against it. Mr. Wolk is a theology teacher in the Upper School of Providence Academy. Providence Academy is an independent, private, classical academy whose spiritual father is Cardinal Burke. Cardinal Burke has been involved with Providence Academy since its inception. Printable PDF text of presentation, includes sample quiz. Printable PDF of Magisterial texts of heroic Popes who taught against modern errors.
- Pray the Holy Rosary with Cardinal Burke audio (30:00). (Recorded in 2017) The Rosary is prayed by Cardinal Burke according to the method suggested by Saint John Paul II. The intention is for all catechists. Printable PDF Rosary flyer, print on legal-sized paper-8.5 by 14 inches.
- The Rosary, A Cherished Devotion audio (58:06) by Msgr. Roger J. Scheckel, Spiritual Advisor of the Marian Catechist Apostolate in 2017. An historical outline and a discussion on the method for praying the Rosary as suggested by Saint John Paul II in his 2002 Apostolic Letter Rosarium Virginis Mariae.
Sacrament of Penance
Audio presentations from 2009 Consecration Weekend.
Sacred Heart of Jesus-Transforming Hearts to Christ…Both Mine and Others
Audio presentation (1:00) by Raymond Leo Cardinal Burke given July 29, 2011 for the Diocese of La Crosse Catechetical Conference in La Crosse, Wisconsin. Content was saving the family and the culture by building a civilization of love through the Enthronement and Consecration of the family and the home to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. Printable PDF.
Audio presentations by Cardinal Burke from 2011 Consecration Weekend. Recording quality is poor, but we still wanted to share these with you.
- The Sacred Liturgy, the highest expression of our Faith and God’s right to be worshipped (45:38).
- Continued: The worship owed to God (47:01).
- The Beauty of Christ in the Sacred Liturgy through the Language (45.23).
Scandal given by Catholic Politicians
Audio presentation (1:02) by Raymond Leo Cardinal Burke. Presentation focuses on the need for following the natural moral law and fully respecting the gift of human life and the integrity of marriage and the family. Then-Archbishop Burke explains the scandal brought about by Catholic politicians who favor abortion and same-sex marriage, and the need for their public repentance. He states, “It is not possible to be a practicing Catholic and to conduct oneself publicly in this manner.” Presentation given at 5th World Prayer Congress for Life to pro-life leaders from 45 nations in Rome on Saturday, October 9, 2010. Printable PDF.